New Contributor
staszek

how to activate a sim card and transfer my number without going to dealer to buy some PIN

[ Edited ]

Oh, man, I need to vent a little....

I have been trying to get this activation done for quite some time now and everytime I called the support there was like another new thing they asked me to do - and now I am stuck. Like absolutely. I have a phone, I have a SIM and I have a good working CC ready to pay for the **bleep** service - but I can't get throught the simple and final obstruction - a dealer PIN.

That's what you told me on the phone, **bleep** it.

CC card is just not enough to pay - now you want me to go and pay some dealer!

I went to one place today - they told me to "have a sit" and "please wait", because "we have another customer getting activation" and that was it. I spent over 1 hour there, sitting, and got no PIN, because I got a family to feed for goodness sake and I had to leave. And it wasn't me. I really wanted to get that done. I was super patient, I waited all that time. My kids called me.

OK.

Enough complaining.

I want someone to tell me if there is another way to get my number ported to Simple Mobile from Verizon without going through a hassle of finding another "dealer" driving there for half an hour, and waiting another hour.

NO MORE PIN shopping on my buck!

Can anything be done or should I just sign up with ATT?

And of course - the final question - WHY IS THE COMPANY FORCING INTERNET CUSTOMERS TO SEARCH FOR SOME DEALERS?

Why are you making us do all this? WTF?

It is unfair, cruel, you make us lose time, money, gas and most importanty - instead of getting the process streamlined - you force us to talk to some Taliban Indian foreign call center!

I trully expect someone to tell me - that YES - there is another way - YES we have a call center in - say - Minesota and YES we will gladly accept your credit card as a payment and YES we will activate your SIM and YES we will port your number from VERIZON.

For all I know - after calling you 4 times - all you got is NO - there is no other way - NO - there is no call center in the US - just the Taliban somewhere in India - NO - you are not going to accept my CC card, because you MUST buy a PIN from a dealer and finally NO - we can't activate your SIM without the PIN - and NO we can't port your phone number from Verizon, because you need a PIN from Verizon.

I can't believe I spent 500 bucks on phones and SIMs.

Shame!!!

Contributor
jsancheznv

Re: how to activate a sim card and transfer my number without going to dealer to buy some PIN

[ Edited ]
I had a similar experience yesterday trying to port my number from T-Mobile to Simple Mobile. The problem you are experiencing stems from the fact that you are attempting to port a number from a different carrier to Simple Mobile. Normally, you would be able to activate new service using Simple Mobile's portal by providing a SIM card number and adding your credit card information. However, when you are porting a number in you cannot activate and receive a 'temporary' number to later be replaced by the number you wish to port in. You must call SImple Mobile and have Simple Mobile process the port activation. For some reason, Simple Mobile's system only allows PIN numbers as a valid form of payment when you are attempting to port a number in. This means the Simple Mobile associate you are speaking with on the phone cannot accept your credit card to add funds to your existing SIM card (that has no value). That is why you were referred to a dealer--so you can purchase a SIM card that is also associated to a PIN number that has enough value to cover the service plan you are trying to activate. Why? I have no idea. This deficiency in their internal software does not make sense. If you go to Simple Mobile's website you will see that there is a notice that you can no longer purchase PIN numbers. What I do know is that Simple Mobile was recently purcahsed by Tracphone and it appears Tracphone disabled the ability to purchase standalone PIN numbers. Moreoever, it appears Tracphone has not properly trained its personnel with regard to how Simple Mobile works. The employee I spoke to informed me that all Simple Mobile employees have been replaced with Tracphone employees and recommended that I sign up for Net 10 (another Tracphone company) instead of Simple Mobile. In the end, the employee I spoke to was amazing and when out of his way to help me and I was able to activate/port-in my number without having to visit a dealer and I set up auto-pay (online) to avoid any inconvenience in the future. However, it is clear to me that what the employee did was an exception and not the rule so I cannot (unfortuneately) advise you to call in as it appears (at least for now) that going to a dealer and purchasing a SIM card with value is the proper way to activate/port-in a new line of service.
SIMPLE Mobile Dealer
DonMartin

Re: how to activate a sim card and transfer my number without going to dealer to buy some PIN

You should be able to buy a Simple Mobile PIN online from PINZOO:

http://www.pinzoo.com/wireless-refill-minutes/simple-mobile-prepaid-airtime-cards/

Contributor
jsancheznv

From Simple Mobile's website:
"We are no longer issuing PINs. Easily ReUp online with the new ReUp payment tool and have your payment instantly applied to your account." http://www.mysimplemobile.com/simple-mobile-reup.aspx

It would be interesting and very helpful if the link you provided still allows the option to purchase valid stand-alone PINS. Hopefully it works. If it does, it will be very helpful to anyone trying to port a number in.
Contributor
jsancheznv

I am going to purchase an Iphone 4 later this month and will need to purchase a new Micro-Sim card. Do you have any suggestions with regard to the best way to go about this? I called Simple Mobile and was told I should wait until 1 day before my current bill cycle ends to activate the new SIM card because I will lose all value associated with my existing SIM card if I activate sooner. Do you have any suggestions on how I can activate my new Micro-Sim card sooner and not lose any value?
New Contributor
staszek

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all your kind answers and for the link to these PINs. But that is an external webpage?

Is it safe?

I am now thinking about all that - we are kind of lost - and on a crossroads here.

I JUST PURCHASED A BRAND NEW SAMSUNG NEXUS  from the Simple Mobile store!!!!

I am heart broken - because  instead of fun from the phones - all we got is  a huge family argument.

We bought 5 phones and SIMs - and now we are arguing about selling or returning them back to stores.

I never had a smart phone before - ever -  just wanted to be able to use it - just a little - play with it.

Have fun. Oh....

I am also considering testing the Nexus with a SIM activated on Simple Mobile website.

Actually that is our latest plan - we are staying with Verizon and getting rid of all these phones exept the Nexus - for which I will probably activate a new SIM without porting any numbers.

If I knew I am gonna have such a hard time with them - I'd NEVER even consider Simple Mobile.

Because it was NOT SIMPLE.

Is is actually IMPOSSIBLE to activate!

unwiredplanet
Topics: 2
Kudos: 638
Solutions: 8

That's a bummer you went through all that! It actually doesn't have to be all that much of a hassle. If you go to simplemobile.com you'll see at the top of the page the "activate" link. If you click on that, it takes you to the activate page which itself says it is for new numbers only, however if you want to port you can call 877.878.7908.

For porting from Verizon it shouldn't take too long as long as you have all your Vz information handy and correct. Acct. # acct. password or PIN (this is not your "my acct" login info) and your billing address.

I have heard that SIMPLE is working on getting porting avaialbe on their website but I don't know when that would be...

Purveyor of unwired solutions
New Contributor
m3000

[ Edited ]

I'll have to agree, this whole process is far more complicated than it really should be, and the customer service people are often not much help unless you get lucky.  It makes no sense they can't just take your credit card number. It took 3 times until I finally got someone who understood what was going on and could point me in the right direction (on top of some Internet searching).

jsancheznv has the basic idea. You have a SIM ($.30 off Amazon) and then if you're transferring a number, you have to already have a PIN for the amount that your plan is. I figured out from Howard Forums there were places to buy it online (even at a discount!), so you don't have to live in the 90's and actually drive somewhere to buy one from a gas station. Got mine at http://CallingMart.com and if you search for coupon codes, you can find 3% (and even up to 7% occasionally) off. The PIN's are then given to you instantly when you buy them online from there. This is essentially virtual cash you "pay" for your first month with when you activate.

Armed with the SIM card number, a PIN number, your current cell phone provider account number, and your password/PIN for your current cell phone provider, only then should you call the activation phone number.

Then you have to waste 20 minutes telling them all your information on the phone, repeating things and spelling everything twice (didn't know how to spell Austin) instead of doing it the sane way via an online form you submit. Unfortunately I went through this all last night and the number still hasn't ported over 20 hours later, so it looks like I might be stuck in porting hell for at least another day as I figure out where it went wrong. Likely due to some mistranslated number or address from having to tell someone dozens of pieces of information over a phone connection in broken English. Hopefully this becomes simpler after everything is setup.

Edit: Literally about 10 minutes after I posted this, it finally ported. So even though I saw in my account info that my home address was completely butchered, it still was successful. And so far service just the same as it was with T-mobile as one would expect, though I will really miss Visual Voicemail

New Contributor
Finalheaven23

If there isn't already a thread specifically for venting, and SM horror stories, we should make one lol. Drive to the store like it's the 90's LOL I said the same thing. Oh and now I need a PIN? You're the rep and you're asking me for my new account number? Um, don't you give that to me? Okay let's take another blast from the past trip to the store for a PIN. Seriously, it's bad enough I had to call instead of doing it online and what is up with not being able to just take my credit card info and give me a plan? Unheard of. "Shut up and take my money!"

About 30 hours and I'm still in porting purgatory.:catindifferent: I'm really hoping the rep didn't screw up an account number or something because he screwed up my email address(even though it's just my full name, which he got right after me spelling it 3 times) and my address was wrong ("Paris" instead of terrace. REALLY?)

So far every rep I talked to since the get go has asked me for different information, told me different information and one was rude and completely didn't explain, like I'm supposed to just know their @ss backwards policies and procedures with me being a new customer and them being in what seems to be another country and another century. I hope their customer service isn't indicative of their network service. /rant

Contributor
jsancheznv

I recently replaced my existing (regular) SIM card with a micro-SIM card because I upgraded to an Iphone 4. I called customer service and the employee was able to update my SIM card with no problems. (I had recently been told this was not possible because I would lose whatever value was left in my original SIM card). Hope this helps.